As part of the newest generation of BOBs boards, two buttons, and possibly (if I have enough pins left over) a few DIP switches. As a result, there has to be code to use these buttons and put them to work. This is where my new development board comes in. Continue reading Development
Some of the regular visitors may have noticed that the site has changed a little bit. I finally got time a few weeks ago to sit down and totally rewrite the theme. Three hours in total, at 2am I was posting the theme live.
The Sparkfun Autonomous Vehicle Competition is TODAY! Continue reading AVC ’10
Half the time, something works, the other half of the time it doesn’t, and the other half of the time, it just goes up in smoke. As such was the case with my V1.5 Rev. 1 quad motor controller. Continue reading BOB update
So I finally got around to fixing a few things, and cleaning the board up, here is BOB’s newest working version of his motor controller board. Continue reading Revision 2 of Quad Low-side “Taco”
So I finally got around to getting a board designed for Generation 3 electronics, but like everything else, being the first prototype board there were some things left out and other mistakes.
[singlepic id=73 w=320 h=240 float=]
Also the Code has been updated, please check it out at: http://github.com/JoshAshby/Robotbob/tree/experimental
After several hours of research going deeper into the motor controller designs that my current Generation 3 electronics is based off of, I have finally found a few things that i can add for safety to my design, and a few suggestions to try in order to get the design working. First thing that I saw suggested a few times was adding a cap across the power lines, and while this is something I normally do, I forwent installing them this time for simplicity of the design, so I added a 1000uF 50V cap, and have a 10uF ready to go if needed. this cap is for voltage drops when the motor first kicks in.
Second thing I saw suggested a few times also was the use of a 12V zener diode between GND and the output line of the TC4424CPA mosfet driver. this diode is for power spikes, only allowing 12V or less to exist on the output line.
Finally someone suggested that the mosfet driver was burning out because it was being forced to drive a failed mosfet, so I stuck a brand new mosfet into the system, and BOOM it works perfectly, no over heating of anything, and no magic smoke went along with perfect results, now all that is left is a PWM ramp up, and ramp down test since this is a motor controller we’re talking about.
Good news for BOB
I ordered a few MOSFET drivers, and extra MOSFETs for BOB to test out and hopefully solve the problem of having no control over the motor controllers right now. The MOSFETs are still the same old IRF540N’s and the drivers are the dual 3 Amp TC4424CPA drivers. Continue reading Generation 3 Electronics
First off Linux And Sci would like to wish everyone a happy holiday season.
After having messed around with Open Frameworks for about 2 weeks now, I’ve come to a) like it, and b) want to remake BOBs control GUI with it. Because BOB has a modular build system, and can relay as much information to the computer as needed, making a GUI for him doesn’t always work out as being the easiest part of the project. PyQt tends to not want to play nice with Pygames joystick command from what I’ve messed around with it, and I would like to do the GUI in C or C++ with the under laying levels being Python and Perl as needed. This is because Python provides a nice, and in my personal opinion, easy to use serial module: Pyserial. Coding the main GUI in C means I refresh my past C days, and with the addition of Open Frameworks, things such as threads are easy to use, and the joystick can be handled by OpenGL which also can take care of graphics. Continue reading GUI madness
Been under the weather the past few days, so it’s been all coding while laying in bed.
First off, I’ve started to mess around with the Open Frameworks and I must say, it is amazing from the little I’ve touched. I’ve managed to make a simple GUI that has 4 buttons laid out in a d-pad style from a game pad. when you click on any circle it will light up, and when the corresponding key on the keyboard (a,s,d,w) is pressed that circle with light up also. Finally, when the circles light up, they write a byte to the serial port. This will probably later on become the new GUI for BOB.
Along with this, the newer Arduino IDE’s do not support (or like to even play nice with) my avr iscp so I’ve had to resort to using avrdude, which isn’t bad by it’s self, but having to manually set up the project folders and copy the libraries and all that is a pain. Because I like the Code::Blocks IDE (which is what the Linux version of Open Frameworks uses also) I decided to make a project template for using the Arduino libraries. After many errors:
I finally got help from Reggie on freenode/#sparkfun and was able to get a working project that used the Arduino libraries in Code::Blocks:
I have a github repository for any templates I make for Code::Blocks.